After 15 years of service in the market, Advanced Thermal Hydronics recently engaged in a study to prove the longevity of our KN Series cast iron boilers.
Why use cast iron?
- Cast iron is a ASHRAE-approved material
- Holds valuable heat longer than other materials, providing superior longevity and reliability
- Cast iron heat exchangers used in the KN series boilers have no welds and are 5x more think than competitive stainless steel and aluminum heat exchangers
- Less susceptible to dramatic thermal stresses
The KN Series boilers have iron clad results:
- KN Series boilers have an installation base of over 16,000 units since 2003
- KN Series boilers haven’t had a single documented failure associated with corrosion
- Cast iron has been the material of choice in the boiler industry for over 150 years
- Cast iron is popular because of its compatibility with water and its superior durability
KN Series: Tear-down Report
Two different KN-20 boilers in full operation were removed from their job sites solely to examine their heat exchangers and verify their thermal efficiency. These boilers were installed in extremely harsh operating conditions with low operating temperatures and non-stop condensing performance. The test indicated only a mere 1-2% loss of cast iron throughout Boiler 1 & 2’s lifecycles. In can be concluded that the boilers could run an addition 38,000 to 44,000 hours in full condensing mode before reaching the ASME minimal wall thickness standards for performance.
For full details regarding the tear-down report, check out the Cast Iron to the Core Brochure.
It’s easy to see that cast iron is an ideal material for condensing boiler applications.
It’s DURABLE. It’s EFFICIENT. It’s made to LAST THE LONG HAUL.